Thursday 12 December 2019

J. S. Walker Letter (22 June 1862)


Camp 15th Regt.,
6 mi. below Ricmond,
22d June, 1862.

My very dear Wife:

            A few days more and it will be three months since McClellan began his triumphal march to Richmond. During that time I have been beset behind and before, subjected to great trials and inconveniences, not to say suffering. I have had great responsibility upon me, with no one to hold my hands. My time day and night has for the most part been absorbed in my duty to my country, and as I have to do with all my might whatever my hands find to do, I fear, yea I know, I have omitted the weightier matters of the law. I have not kept the Lord as my strength and counsellor before my eyes and in my heart. In fact, I have laid all on the altar of my country, even sacrificing the natural affection to my family, not taking time to write you. I have trusted too much in my own efforts and have had too much confidence placed in me by those in authority. While my whole soul has been thrown into my country’s cause as one of her defenders, my spiritual soul has grown less and as a soldier of the cross I have been unprofitable, and yet how good the Lord has been unto me thru it all. Not only has He given me health of body and mind and a will for any work, but above all He has in mercy shown me by His Spirit’s influence how I am neglecting to grow in grace, to have at all times the witness of His approval, to find Him a present help in every hour of trouble, and a refuge in every necessity, so that however surrounded, I may find Him a comforter. I have drawn myself away today, this His Sabbath, from the routine of camp duty to examine my own heart, to confess before Him my wandering from Him and to drink from the ever flowing fountain of Gospel grace, hope, comfort and consolation, for in myself there is nothing good but all unclean, but a free grace and full pardon is promised to all who truly repent. I find that it will be necessary for me to have system and regularity in my devotions at the expense of everything else, or Satan will come in and possess my soul. I fear that with natural impulsiveness and energy, with too much the spirit of Martha I have allowed myself to be unnecessarily taxed, yea, and unprofitably it may be, for my country, to the prejudice and injury of my eternal good. I see it, I think. I am sorry for it. I thank God I see it, and by His help I will improve my past experience, and depending less upon myself and more upon my Father, will seek for the future to lead a more holy life. Thus fortified, I will be superior to all temptations and find my heart continually refreshed by the Heavenly dew of peace and joy.
            Events seem to be tending to a culmination point. It is indeed the hour of our extremity, and tho I have so often proven in the past that I am no prophet, yet I am impressed that the present week is pregnant with great stirring events, which may prove the closing scenes of the war. I think not only the people but the armies of both the North and the South would welcome the hour of peace, and a decisive battle before Richmond may prove the dawn of that hour.
            The great, tho good, Jackson – the man of faith and prayer – whom the Lord delighted to honour, will in a few days be down to our help with his army. He will not only remain inactive, but will strike for his country, and that with success. The idols of the world, such as Floyd, Johnson and Beaureguard, have been by God’s providence withdrawn from the active field, while Gen. Jackson and Bethel Hill are our leaders. Floyd disgraced, Johnson wounded and Beaureguard’s health requiring that he be relieved of his command. There are other bright examples of Christians in our high officers, while there are many more who neither love nor fear the Lord. May they be brought by the example of the illustrious two above to see that the Lord is God and that with Him are not only the issues of life and death, but victory purchases on the banner that he smiles upon.
            I think it well that you did not come down at my instance, if my speculations prove correct. I hope Richmond will in a few days be relieved of the host that now besiege it and our large army, which now taxes the whole supply of food to be had here, be removed to another scene of action. Then Richmond may return to her accustomed quiet. In the meantime, everything is scarce and high, and I am sure that with muddy, hot water, no fruit or vegetables, the children would suffer very much with summer complaints. It is fortunate and providential, I think, that you went to Lynchburg when you did.
            Our house is being well employed in furnishing an asylum to the good who are refugees from their homes.
            I understand our sick and wounded are not only be well attended to but are rapidly recovering. There are still a great many stragglers and old soldiers about Richmond, much to the depletion and demoralization of our army. GenL. Lee is, however, at work upon them and will, I hope, soon have them with their regiments.
            I am getting to be quite anxious to see you all, and hope that a favourable opportunity may soon be given me, and yet we will be better able to appreciate the blessings of peace and liberty if they cost us present trials and afflictions.
            Kiss the dear children and let them unite their innocent little hearts with their mother’s in prayer for us and our cause, and leaving all in the hands of a good and merciful Heavenly Father, let come what may, be able to say “He doeth all things well”.
            Remember me kindly to your Mother and all friends and relatives. I hope you are all husbanding your supplies and living economically so as to make them go as far as possible, for it may be there will be an exhaustion of everything before an opportunity comes to replenish.
            Lucy Norvell no doubt keeps you posted as to everything going on in Richmond, both at home and among our friends. I am

                        Your very affectionate husband,
                       
                                                Jno. S. Walker

[This is the last letter I have written by John Stewart Walker. Eight days after writing this, he was killed during the Battle of Malvern Hill.]

No comments:

Post a Comment