Monday 3 February 2014

J. S. Walker's Letter (13 Feb 1862)

Camp Deas, 13th Feby. 1862.

My dear Wife:

            I drop you a line as I have the opportunity to let you know that I am very well. The enclosed note from Col. Cumming is an acknowledgement of some of the good things you sent me. He has his wife with him and this is a hard country to get anything fit for a lady to eat. The news of reverses in North Carolina, Tennessee, etc., almost determine me to book myself for the war. My company is very anxious to have me take them. I pray God to direct me. This is our dark hour as a nation, our liberty hangs in the balance, our enemy are strong and determined, ourselves have been too confident. Let saints pray the God of battles to avert the storm that hangs over us, and bring the blessing of peace and liberty.
            Give my love to all. Kiss the dear children. Nothing new down here.

                                   
                                                Yours ever affectly., in haste,

                                                            Jno. S. Walker

Dear Captain:

            Your messenger has just delivered to me your very acceptable present of  “creature comforts”, for which accept my thanks and those of Mrs. Cumming.
            I would be pleased to see you over, Captain, as also any of our friends from the 15th Virginia.

                                                Very truly yours,

A. Cumming.
Captain Jno. S. Walker,

15th Va. Rgt.

No comments:

Post a Comment