Thursday 21 November 2019

J. S. Walker Letter (14 April 1862)


Lees Hill, 14th April, 1862
My dear Wife:

            Though I have not heard from you since Thompson brought down one for me, I hope you are all well and have heard from me. We have now been waiting the enemy within sound of their drums for two weeks, yet they have not yet attacked us. When they do, you may expect to hear of a sanguine battle. Our men are determined and will give them a round of warm greeting. We have a good force, increasing daily, and men in fine spirits. I have an abiding confidence in our cause and great hopes that this will be the decisive battle of the war. We all feel that a great deal depends upon us, and I hope by the aid of the Lord that we will be able to conquer a peace. I try amid the trials of the hour to recognize my dependence upon God and to have a faith that He will give me grace for every hour of need. “Tho He slay me, yet will I trust him.” If I live to go through this battle, I will let you know what our present trials are. If not, my children may look back with honest pride upon the fact that their father died in the defence of their rights. You will hear a thousand idle rumors, do not credit them, but with prayer commit all to the Lord, who knoweth what is best for us. My own opinion is that the enemy will not attack us here for several days, it may be weeks, and that it will be a battle of several days continuance. It may be that if they do not attack us, we will them.
            I sent my trunk up a day or two ago to be forwarded to Richmond. It will be at Richard Hankins near Ludlow and Watsons Rocketts. Kiss the dear children for me and let our praying friends be untiring in their calls upon Jehovah for victory. My health was never better than at present. Love to all.

                                    Every your affectionate husband,

                                                            Jno. S. Walker.

No comments:

Post a Comment