Tuesday 26 November 2019

J. S. Walker Letter (20th April 1862)


21st – All quiet this morning.

Camp (illegiable) Lees Mill,
Sunday, 20th April, 1862

My very dear Wife:

            This Sabbath day on which you are all enjoying the rest of a kind Heavenly Father provides for all, and no doubt with strong faith lifting your hearts to God for his protection to those in the field, we are kept continually reminded by the war of cannon and musketry that the enemy are before us and watching to strike when and where they think we are most vulnerable. You will all no doubt conclude that today is our battle day and await in breathless anxiety to hear the issues, but we are still merely skirmishing, with an occasional attack, which we have so far repulsed. When the general engagement does come off, it will be most probably the bloodiest battle of modern times. Our men feel what great issues hang upon their determined resistance, while the enemy, in great strength, well armed, equipped and drilled, are determined to go on to Richmond, they say. I do hope that this battle may decide the contest in our favour, and be succeeded by a blessed peace. The best of Christians can but imperfectly appreciate the blessings by which the Lord surrounds them in a time of peace and prosperity until they have tasted of the bitters of war in their own experience. They know not how to bless the Lord for his goodness and mercy. David could never have written his Pslam of Thanksgiving if he had not waded through the deep waters of persecution and trial. I have great confidence that the Lord is going to give us a glorious triumph over our enemies, that He will make bare his arm in our behalf. We are using all the means at our command energetically to repel the foe. The Lord, we know, will do His part well. We have good Generals, determined men, and will conquer tho we die. It may be this fight will not come off for several days, and when it does, it will likely be of several days continuance. McClellan is resolved to put everything on the issue of this battle. He is entrenching himself and has an overwhelming force under his command. He is a Catholic, and this being the Easter season he may respect the days of the Church, but will no doubt strike by the middle of the week. Johnson is our head, supported by Hile (of Bethel), Magruder, Longstreet, and other tried men. Now let our Christian people humble themselves in fasting and prayer before the Lord, and He will give us the victory. I went over to Garland’s Regiment yesterday, expecting to see Kirk, but learned he stopped in Richmond. I fear he is frolicking. I hope not. If you have not seen him, try and find him and do all you can to save him and get him to come at once to his company.
            In the Dispatch of the 16th inst. is an extract from a letter of a correspondent on the Peninsular signed “Soldier”, lauding me. It is all trash and imagination, not a word of truth in the whole. I did command a battalion that went into the enemies’ lines reconnoitring, and with two men as a guard I went to where the enemy had their cannon planted the day before, but it was nothing. Thousands would have done the same if they had had the opportunity. I regret that such foolishness should be penned or published. Whatever of determination or bravery I have is from God, and I would give Him all the glory. I ask him to give me a humble spirit, to choke in me any ambition for name or notoriety and to direct my steps and lead me where I should go, and direct me in the performance of my duty. As far as the world is concerned, all is vanity.
            I have slept in my clothes every night since I left home, sometimes in the field, trenches, and tent, always ready for an attack. My trunk and all of my things have been sent to the rear, the trunk to Richmond. I hope yet to recount to you all around our own fireside the trials of the hour. Ten days more and I think it will be determined. Idle stories will reach you. Wait on God continually and have your strength renewed.
            I received you letter of the 11th with the lines. It was quite comforting to see your courage and faith. May the Lord sustain you. Kiss the dear children and remember me affectionately to all friends.

                                    Your affectionate husband,

                                                Jno. S. Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment