Friday 29 November 2019

J. S. Walker Letter (27 April 1862)


Leas Mill, Sunday,
April 27th, 1862

My dear Wife:

            Another Sabbath has rolled around and yet by the mercy of the Lord we are spared the sight of blood and carnage. Oh, that with His almighty Hand He would roll back the cloud that now impends and let the Heavenly light of peace shine upon our distracted country, that the sword might be beaten into the pruning hook and the nations of the earth no more have war, but not my will, Thine be done, O Lord.
            I enclose this in one to Norman. The contents of his he will probably tell you. It was very gratifying and complimentary to me that my company, entirely unsolicited, elected him 1st Lieut. of the Company.
            In your last you ask me if a shell struck my tent. About a fortnight ago one passed under one corner of my tent and struck a tree right by the tent. I with my Company was out in the trenches. Nobody was hurt, but Charles took the double quick to the rear, but returned as soon as the firing was all over.
            Things look stormy to us poor mortals. The enemy are drawing in all around us, but the Lord will deliver us in His own good time. Our dependence on self will soon be gone. Then the Almighty Arm will intervene for our deliverance. Man will be humbled that the Lord may be exalted. Amen, so be it.
            I have nothing of interest to communicate. I wrote Norman if he came down to bring me a pair of flannel drawers and that you could get them for him. Kiss the dear children.

                        Yours ever affectionately,

                                                Jno. S. Walker.

No comments:

Post a Comment