Thursday 28 November 2019

J. S. Walker Letter (23 April 1862)


Camp near Lees Mill,
23d April, 1862.

My dear Wife:

            I am just in receipt of yours of the 20th inst. I wrote you the same day and have written you whenever I have had time and opportunity. Your letters are a very great comfort to me and your faith increases mine. This is indeed man’s extremity and I do earnestly hope and pray it may prove God’s opportunity to save us from an over-powering enemy and so manifest his Almighty power that all will have to give Him the glory. We are still standing on the defensive and are beginning to be uneasy lest the enemy escape us and turn their large force against some weaker point. I was out yesterday with my Company on a reconnaissance, together with four other companies of our Regiment and five companies of the 21st Mississippi. We killed some six or eight of the enemy and took one prisoner, while we had two slightly wounded Miss., and one of my men missing, supposed to be either killed or surrounded and taken prisoner. He was a fine young man, named Daily, brave and daring and ventured no doubt too far into the enemies’ lines. He no doubt mistook my orders or disobeyed them and paid the forfeit of his liberty, it may be his life. I still hope he will turn up. If taken prisoner and they give him half a chance he will escape. We are bivouacing and living on very simple fare, sleeping on our arms and in our clothes, ready for a moment’s call, either to repel the enemy or advance upon him.
            I fear our people are not awake to the issues that hang on the result of the battle that is before us. It may be well if they are not, for panic would be where prayer now should. Our fate as a nation may depend upon it, our cause meet its death if our arm is not sustained by the Almighty. I have determined to see in its result the will of Heaven and to be content to suffer defeat if need be, but never to submit to Northern dominion. Should the great battle which impends come off it will tax the Christian sympathy of the good people of Richmond to attend to and provide for our wounded, and since I have given up all to the cause, I would like if I am spared to furnish accommodation to some of them at my house. I do not know or think that it is your duty in your unprotected condition, without knowing what the result may be so far as I am concerned, to take any or provide for any in advance. If you were to take any, I would prefer designating who they should be, in order that you might have gentlemen who would appreciate you condition and not presume upon your kindness. For that purpose I have determined that if I feel it to be my duty to tax you with any wounded I will give them my address upon a slip of paper to you and you can put the third story aside for them and have George Moody, Washington Kirk or David Butler, or the whole of them, to wait on them. They will be attended by Army Surgeons, and I will make arrangements with the Commissary Department in Richmond to furnish tea, coffee, sugar, etc, at prices very much lower than store prices, so that the additional expense will not be worth weighing in the balance against the good that will and may be done. Understand that this is only to go into effect provided I advise it, and is not to interfere with any public or other preparation in which you are engaged, but is to be a private affair. If wounded myself, I speak in advance for accommodation at your house, and for as many wounded comrades as I may think proper to bring. Of course, if you take the third story for the wounded you will provide for Mrs. Hayes and her children in the nursery and small room attached. Cotton mattresses, which would be cheerfully furnished you by the Surgeon General, will be a luxury to our soldiers.
            Our country and cause hangs now in the balance. The prayer of faith, though not recognized as an engine of war, can, may, nay will, turn it in our favour. Then for an overflowing, concentrated faith of our whole Christian people which shall rise in a mighty irresistible volume of sweet incense to the Father’s throne, which will bring down the blessing. Did it ever occur to you that was is not only a National chastisement, but it purifies and purges? Then everyone exercises and influence for good or evil over those by whom they are surrounded, which influence continues to act in increased power with each succeeding generation. The men who compose the army as a general thing are very wicked and beyond the influence of the gospel in its ordinary work. They are bold, fearing neither God nor man. Their influence is for evil, and that continually, and it may be the Lord, to save the young and innocent from the effect of their pernicious influence and example, tho He takes no pleasure in the death of a sinner, yet for the love he bears his creatures and to save the greater number from death eternal allows them to be killed in war.
            I think the first of May will find us either victorious or the enemy after their great demonstration declining to give us battle at this point. We are as an army getting a little restless under the suspense and a regular battle, tho it is generally anticipated it will be very sanguinary, would not be unwelcome.
            I received a letter from Bro. David announcing Avis’ safe deliverance from her troubles and rejoicing that a man child is born into the world. Give my love and hearty congratulations to both, with many thanks to David for his kind letter.
            The enemy are drawing in around Richmond and no doubt many are badly frightened – but they are not there yet and will have to pass over bloody fields and the corpses of the South’s bravest before they get there.
            Kiss the dear children and give love to all friends.
                       
                                    Every yours affectionately,

                                                            Jno. S. Walker.

No comments:

Post a Comment