Monday 5 September 2011

J. S. Walker's Twentieth Letter

Camp Adams
King’s Mill Landing
29th July, 1861

My very dear Wife:

                I write you by every favourable opportunity and as I have time, and if you do not hear from me regularly attribute it to my engagements and not to sickness, as I am now very well and hope I may continue so. One or two members of my company have had chills, and I fear if we are kept here that the whole company will have to pass through them, as it is a chill and fever country. I will not, however, take trouble or interest, as we may at any moment be ordered to another part of the State, as a soldier has nothing certain to rely upon in this life. Our Col. August has been on a big frolic for two weeks, too drunk to discharge his duties. I have found him tolerably sober a day or two ago and I have him an earnest, honest talk which he took kindly and I did hope and pray that I had done him good in soul if not in body, from his promises to amend, but as a hog returneth to her wallow so the drunkard returns to his cup, and I fear he is no better. I told him I had determined ever since I entered the service that I would not agree to be exposed or expose my company under a drunken commander and if he does not speedily reform more stringent measures will have to be adopted.
                I do not know how long it will be before I will see my family again, as the General has issued orders stopping all forloughs. I willingly commit them to the keeping of my kind Heavenly Father, knowing that his protection is better than any earthly father can afford. Give my love to all friends and loving kisses to our dear little ones, and continue constant in prayer that the lord may continue to smile upon our arms and bring soon peace to our land and a restoration of friends, and should it please Him to give us peace and return us to the quite of our homes, won’t we appreciate the blessings of quiet.

                                                                Yours very affectionately,
                                               
                                                                                Jno. S. Walker.

No comments:

Post a Comment