Wednesday 14 September 2011

J. S. Walker's Twenty-First Letter

King’s Mill Landing,
Camp Adams,
2d August, 1861

My very dear Wife:

                I merely write to keep you advised that I am well. I received the bread and tomatoes, and they were very grateful to my palate. We are laying in our oars without any prospect of any immediate action, but a soldier does not know what a day may bring forth.
                Yesterday was the anniversary of the death of our dear little Amanda and while it recalls past sorrows, makes me thankful that she rests with the good away from the trying troubles of this present time. Oh, that we may be ready when called to meet her in the skies, to die ready we must live ready, and I pray God to help me to live right that I may die right.
                The crying evil of the camp is intemperance and I have put my face against it and have given our Colonel a talk, and as officer of the day having command of the camp in my report say: “The unashamed introduction of liquor into the camp and the increasing evil of drunkenness calls for the most stringent orders to prevent the one and arrest the other”, and I hope we will succeed in arresting it. Entre nous.
                As dry goods are running low and it may be difficult to get flannel shirts or drawers in the fall, had you better buy me one shirt and one pair of drawers of thick flannel and save them for the winter?
                Kiss the dear children and give Luly and Mary these little shells Papa picked up on the river side. Write often and long and let me know all that is going on.


                                                                Yours very affectionately,

                                                                                Jno. S. Walker.

No comments:

Post a Comment