Monday 2 December 2019

J.S. Walker Letter (27 April 1862) II


27th April. I am in receipt of yours enclosing Johnnie’s letter. I am glad to see he recognizes God’s protection and pray he may have the light of the Spirit to show him that it is the prayer of sinners that the Lord hears and that for them the Saviour died.
            As regards the panic in Richmond, I cannot see that there is anything to be gained by fleeing before the enemy or that one place is any more secure from their invasion than another, and it is best to remain where Providence has paced us and our duty keeps us, rather than run before them. When the military authorities give up the protection of Richmond will be time enough to look out for a place of refuge. Trust in the Lord, be mighty in prayer and faith. While I feel that this is probably our darkest hour in every respect, I have a confidence and peace which alone can be given by my Father. All earthly props fail, and the disorganised state of the army from necessity leaves us the Lord alone to look to. Our extremity is great, the Lord will, I pray, improve the opportunity.
            I have been re-elected Capt. Unanimously by my Company. As soon as things look more favourable and the panic-stricken citizens return to their homes, I will make arrangements to sell out furniture and rent out house and let you go to Lynchburg. May the Lord bless and sustain you a bright shining light in this hour of trial of Faith, that others seeing your good works may be constrained to glorify Our Father in Heaven. Again kiss the dear children, train them for Heaven,

                                    Most affectionately yours,

                                                Jno. S. Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment