Thursday 5 December 2019

J. S. Walker Letter (11 May 1862) II


Camp 15th Va. Regt., near Chickahominy,
11th May, 1862

My dear Wife:

            Since writing you this morning, another opportunity occurs, so I will avail myself of it. It occurs to me that as you have not seen your Mother for some time it would be pleasant for you and gratifying to her to visit her for a short time. I wish you would take the children and do so at once, as it will do you all good. I hear through Georgie of little Mary’s illness. The Lord preserve her to us. Into His hands I submit her. I think a trip at this time is the more desirable owning to the (illegible) of idle rumors afloat in Richmond, and I would prefer you being with your Mother in the event of a battle here, which will come off certainly this week, I think. If the result should be against us, I would feel better satisfied if you were near those who would sympathize with you, and be out of the excitement consequent upon the panic which would be in Richmond. You could in a moment return to Richmond if desirable. Do as you please, and it will have my approval. This other letter you may not get till after this. Norman is very well, so am I, and our troops are in the best of spirits.
            Kiss the dear children and tell my pet, Mary, Papa was sorry to hear she was sick. The Lord have us in his keeping.
                       
                                                Yours ever affectionately,

                                                            Jno. S. Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment