Wednesday 4 December 2019

J. S. Walker Letter (11 May 1862)


Camp near Chickohominy, 11th May, 1862.

My very dear Wife:

            I am just in receipt of yours by Bates dated 3d of May. I have sent you several messages lately by persons going up. I have had no opportunity of writing and nothing to write about, except my trials, troubles, etc. which are not worthy to be named when compared with the cause for which we suffer. I am in excellent health and spirits, confident of victory, tho it may cost us many brave men. I think it will not be many days before the battle must come off, nor very many before peace will come, say within two months. I hope the humbling of the people will be the Lord’s time to deliver them.
            I received the box with the drawers and things, which were very acceptable. We are having a hard time to get anything to eat at all, and if you have anything you have to divide it or have it stolen. This is Sunday, very little like it indeed to us, but we can in secret look to God and earnestly ask Him to defend and protect us against our enemies. I have lived so long in my clothes without a change, and sleeping in all sorts of places, that vermin has taken possession of me, but I will submit cheerfully to any and every thing four our Cause. I enclose a letter to Oscar W___. Give it to him and ask him to attend to it for me. I am in a great hurry this morning as we may be ordered to march at any moment. Kiss the dear children for father, and sustain me by your prayers. Everything is very high. Will you now practice the most rigid economy and suffer, if need by, for the Cause? Consult with Dr. Barney about the propriety of selling out and going to your Mother’s. I wish it if it is deemed by him advisable. I am so uncertain now in my movements, that I cannot tell where a letter will find me, so you and the Doctor must determine. If you sell out, remember the servants are to be provided for by being hired out, and take what groceries you have to Lynchburg with you. Love to all,
                                   
                                    Yours affectionately  
                                                in haste,

                                                            Jno. S. Walker

Read the letter to Weisinger.
See that Sam’l D. Paul
Gest the enclosed. They can
Tell you at Mrs. Pegram’s,
Or Georgie may know.

No comments:

Post a Comment