Saturday 7 December 2019

J. S. Walker Letter (14 May 1862)


May 14th, 1862

My dear Wife:

            I understand there is painful anxiety in Richmond that the gun boats will shell the city. Capt. Atkinson has just come down and reports the state of feeling. In your unprotected condition, it probably would be better for you to go to Lynchburg at once to be out of its influence. I would myself feel better content if the gun boats did come up to have you all away. Take all your groceries except such as you leave with the servants. Consult David whether to take all the servants or not. Take as many as you can which you need, at any rate. I am in a field, it is pouring down raining, can write no more. Norman and self are well. Col. August goes up sick.
            Write me what you determine direct to 15th Va. Regt. I think a few days will settle the condition at Richmond, tho everything looks glowing at present. I have every confidence that the Lord will direct and his glory acknowledged. Kiss the dear children for me, and the Lord have you in his keeping and grant that we meet again soon in person.

                                    Your husband,

                                                Jno. S. Walker

No comments:

Post a Comment