Monday 9 December 2019

J. S. Walker Letter (29 May 1862)


Camp 15th Va. Regt.,
Simms Brigade,
29th May, 1862

My dear Wife:

            I have more frequent opportunities of sending you a letter than I have of writing. We are kept constantly day and night on outpost duty, and when I lay down at night with clothes, spurs, etc., on we are liable to be called at any and every hour and are constantly aroused. We sleep in a field or woods road or swamp, just as we happen to be and have a chance. In spite of all this, the Lord gives me health and tho the privations keep me feverish and nervous to a degree that prevents quiet reflection and but little opportunity of reading and reflecting on the Bible, and no stated time for prayer, yet, thank God, I can trust in Him and have peace in believing. I cannot hope to be able to physically endure what I have had to go through with for the past two months, much longer, tho ‘sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof’.
            I am now well, and trust the Lord may continue it to me. It cannot be many more days before the decisive battle comes off, and tho it will be a day of blood, since the cup may not pass from us, may the Lord be our support to shield and give us grace to drink it. The sooner now it comes off, the sooner we will be relieved of the handicaps of this campaign, but I am willing to leave it to the Lord and our Generals, asking Him to direct them. We have all confidence in our General and to moral eye everything works well four our victory.
            I am glad to see by your last that the children are improving, and hope the Lord will keep you all well. I hope Avis and family are safely in Mrs. Byrd’s home. We now get a plenty to eat through Mary Burney and sending the servants to Richmond for eating. Sorry to see Gaston was wounded but happy to know it is very slight. The loss of his gun I attribute to a panic in the infantry and stampede on their part, instead of their covering his reatreat. Tho the papers do not say so, privately I do not think much of his Brig. General.
            If you do not hear from me, attribute it to my being too much occupied. If I am sick so as not to be able to attend to duty, I will go to Richmond, where I can get proper attention and care, so make yourself easy on that subject. Kiss the dear children for father, and continue to pray the Lord to turn his anger from us and give peace to our distracted country and return us unto our families. I never set my heart on this world’s good if I know myself, but with my present experiences I would not give peace under my own vine and fig tree, with a crust of bread and my family around me, for all this world possesses. A log cabin, ash cake, and buttermilk, in peace with my dear ones, is all of this world I covet. Love to you and all friends, and pray for a great victory, and may the Lord have all the glory.
           
                                    Affectionately yours,


                                                Jno. S. Walker.

No comments:

Post a Comment