Friday 6 December 2019

J. S. Walker Letter (13 May 1862)


New Kent, 18 miles from Richmond,
13th May, 1862

My dear Wife:

            I am just in receipt of yours of 12th by Morris. Am sorry to hear from him that Bro. David has been sick. I am glad you have concluded to take a little trip with the children on your own account and that of the health of the children. I still believe the enemy will not get to Richmond, and if so, not for some time. I think our chastisement is nearly completed and that the Lord will soon unveil his mercy and give us peace. I think 60 days will give us peace, tho everyone else expects a long war and subjugation. As regards your going to Lynchburg, I still say do what is most agreeable to yourself, and it will be well. I think ten days or a fortnight more will determine the issue at this point and we are determined to conquer or die. My trust in God strengthens as my earthly props fail, and I have a sweet peace in the very teeth of war. The providences of the Lord as an index show me very plainly that He will save us if we will allow Him, but being a jealous God must have all the honor and glory, and demanding it, if not fully given, will exact it from us even through great trials and sufferings.
            Norman is complaining a little this morning, nothing serious. My own health (is?) most excellent in spite of all the drawbacks of sleeping out and short rations, though we are now getting enough to eat.
            I have every confidence of a glorious victory if the enemy attack us here and have as a Brig. Gen’l. a very devout Christian, who is very confident of victory.
            I received Bro Wheelwright’s letter. Hope he will receive some position where he can be useful to his Master and country.
            Kiss the dear children and remember me kindly to all friends. Pray earnestly and confidently and victory is ours.
                       
                                                Yours ever affectionately,
           
                                                            Jno. S. Walker

It may be that your leaving Richmond may have a bad effect upon us, thinking you are running from the Yankees. If so, and you think it your duty to remain, remain. Let the Lord guide you, and act as you think best.

No comments:

Post a Comment