Wednesday 11 December 2019

J. S. Walker Letter (17th June 1862)


Dr. Burney’s,
17th June, 1862

My dear Wife:

            I came up today to take a bath and put on some clean clothes. I received your letters of the 12th and 13th, declining for the present to come down. No doubt it is all for the best, tho I would like very much to see you. I think it is fortunate you have the children in Lynchburg, as fruit, vegetables, and chickens are at outrageous high prices here. Chickens $1, eggs $1 a dozen, butter $1.25 a pound, milk 25¢ a quart.
            If you had to keep the children on cheap living, they would all get sick. Just as I was leaving our house, Dr. and Mrs. Fairfax drove up. The city is crowded and I insisted upon them taking our house, and left them in charge of the servants. I am glad of an opportunity of giving shelter to such refugees. I will get Mary Burney to go and see they are made comfortable. Their delaying me necessitates my writing you a very short letter, as I must get back to camp this evening. We still have the enemy before us and know not when they will get to Richmond. My health was never better than at present, and the Lord alone is my keeper. I am suffering for quiet, and have but little opportunity for reading my Bible or praying in private, and want Christian communion.
            Kiss the dear children and give love to all friends.

                                    Yours most affectionately,

                                                Jno. S. Walker.

No comments:

Post a Comment