Tuesday 3 December 2019

J. S. Walker Letter (9 May 1862)


Camp Deas, Sunday, 9th May, 1862

My very dear Wife:

            I have merely time to scribble you a line to say I am well, very well indeed, thank the Lord. Allen Lyon has not yet reached camp with the good things for us, hope to see him tomorrow. Lieut. Bates takes this up. He will be down in ten days. If I can then get off, I will come and see you for a few days, tho there may be duty to keep me here. I do not now anticipate but let each day take care of itself. We have distressing rumors from Tennessee, also North Carolina, about defeats. God grant that they may not prove true, but if they should, may they stimulate us to redouble our energies and trust more in our God. The chastisement will then be good for us. I have such unbounded confidence in God’s help if we will own Him and respect his precepts, that I fear not evil and believe that He will yet bring us off conquerors, that it may be through great and sour trials, and not only conquerors, but better as a nation.
            Bates is about to start. I must close. Commending you and all that are dear to me on earth to the keeping of my Heavenly Father, with a kiss for the children and love to all friends,

                                    Ever yours affectionately,

                                                Jno. S. Walker.

No comments:

Post a Comment