Tuesday 10 December 2019

J. S. Walker Letter (4 June 1862)


Richmond – Dr. Burney’s
4th June, 1862

My dear Wife:

I have not written for several days, only because my duties have prevented, and I can now only recount the continued goodness of the Lord in giving me health in the midst of great exposure and fatigue and protection in the midst of great danger. We were not in the fight of Saturday or Sunday, when so many of our noble men fell, or were wounded. A kind of Providence directed it, otherwise it may be, to keep us from an untimely death, it may be to give us more time to prepare for it. Whichever it may be, life or death, may I ever feel it in my heart to say “the will of the Lord be done”.
            Gradually the Lord is removing all earthly props, and one that the worldings in the army feels the worst is the removal from the scene of action by a wound of General Johnson. It was to him the Army looked for deliverance from their enemy. Oh, that they would look to the Lord and trust in him, then would he give us the victory. Every day brings the large armies closer together, and a very few more days must determine the fate of Richmond and seal for eternity the destiny of thousands. We await in breathless anxiety the issue and pray God to have mercy upon us and deliver us from our enemies who are stronger than we.
            The city is now filled with the wounded from the recent battle, which may be any day increased tenfold, and yet the Lord may yet make a way of escape from so much pain and bloodshed. The presence of so much suffering naturally casts a gloom over the city. I think till the great battle is over, you had better remain in Lynchburg. Should I be wounded, your presence can be had by telegraph. If wounded and fall into the enemies hands, under a flag of truce you could get to me. If slightly wounded so as not to allow me to attend to my duties and yet allow me to travel, I would much prefer to be away from the excitement of this place with you in Lynchburg. If killed, you can only be gratified in your grief by the sight of my body, which last sad office you can perform from Lynchburg in a day. These are my views, and I hope you will approve. I am very tired of this life of war, and pray for honorable peace, but otherwise let my sons bear my shield after death and devote their lives to their country as I now do, for I will never yield to the tyrants.
            I came up this morning after the hard rains of yesterday night and today, to get some clean clothes and dry out my others, and return to my regiment this afternoon. I have my washing now down at home and have daily communication with home. I shall make David Butler go to market for me every day and bring it down to our camp.
            I heard Dexter was in town yesterday. I have not been down town myself, and consequently have not seen him. Norman is in excellent health. For the incidents of the day, I refer you to the papers and to Mary and Georgie. Kiss the dear children, who father wants to see very much, but higher duties prevent. Love to your Mother and all the family.
            Again I say trust in the Lord, let your faith be strong, and He will give you grace for every hour of trial. May time restore us in peace to the enjoyment of our family ties. But if he should order it otherwise, then Glory be to His name. May we have comforting assurance of an eternal reunion beyond the grave, where the wicked cease from troubling and the weary are at rest.
                                    Every ours affectionately,

                                                Jno. S. Walker,

My address
Care of Dr. Burnley will be the earliest received.

No comments:

Post a Comment